Friday, May 29, 2009

The Birds are Back

Have you ever noticed the strange places that birds build their nests? Over the years we have had many birds build nests behind outside lights. You know, where you can't turn on the porch lights for fear of blinding the babies. We have gotten birds in our chimney for quite a few years now. Sometime in May, I will hear the babies start chirping. They only do it when the Mother shows up with food. (Yes, I am assuming here.) I can hear a swoosh which sounds like the Mother arriving and then they start calling. This only lasts several weeks and then it goes quiet and they are all gone. We have never had a smell or a fire so I don't worry much about it. I guess we do need to schedule a chimney sweep.

This year a house wren has built a nest in our paper box. The first 2 attempts used the days paper as a base. These got dumped on the ground. She persisted however and the next attempt was without a paper base so gave in and let her build. Now the paper carrier sets the paper on top of the box in a bag. We haven't heard anything so I don't know if there are babies. I hope that we don't need to wait all summer to empty it (read "replace it").

0 comments:


About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Blog Design | 2007 Company Name